Monday, January 7, 2013

Introduction

Welcome. Let me introduce myself. I am Matthew. I am 19 years old. I am a Sophomore mechanical engineering major at Tennessee Tech University. Well, now we're introduced.

For many years I have enjoyed taking things apart and looking at them. I also enjoyed creating things and putting them together. For instance, I once built a small potato gun out of a pill bottle and the parts from a butane lighter. My father, an engineer, found this quite amusing and referenced a comic strip to tell me that I would probably be an engineer. Well he was probably right. This comic does describe me to some degree.


To those that don't wish to take the time to watch the clip but for some reason have to read this article, basically Dilbert's mother is worried about him because he takes stuff apart. She takes him to a doctor who tells her Dilbert is doomed to be an engineer.

As I have been going through college, I have learned a few things.

1. There are some really cool things to do out there.
2. You don't have to spend a whole lot of money to do some of them.
3. Some really smart people don't have a clue how to teach.

Now the first and last are things I had suspected for a while, but number 2 was a bit of a surprise. Part of the reason for this has been a influx of cheap things from China. Another has been just the rapid change of technology in recent years.

So anyway, this blog is to the little me's out there who haven't gotten to college to learn about this stuff but are still perfectly capable of doing everything I am doing. I will admit that I am not an expert in anything. I will also admit that I am not a writer. I just hope that I can be of use to those that would wish to read this blog.

Future Content:
-Since about 7th grade I have flown RC airplanes. I have done a few scratch builds from cheap building supplies and may cover those later and do some how to posts if I have an audience.

-More recently I have begun playing around with an arduino board. This will be the subject of my first posts. I hope to show those with interest how cheaply you can get into this stuff.

So until later,
Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment